Travis County Probate Court
The Honorable Dan Prashner
Travis County Courthouse
P.O. Box 1748
Austin, Texas 78767
Fax: (512) 854-4418
Hours: M-F, 8:00-12:00 & 1:00-5:00
The probate court is a statutory probate court headed by an appointed judge, the Honorable Dan Prashner. The probate court is also served by Associate Judge Tom Ruffner.
In general, the probate court probates the wills of deceased persons, declares the heirs of deceased persons who die without a will, establishes guardianships for incapacitated persons and minors, supervises court-ordered involuntary mental health commitments, and administers all eminent domain cases initiated in Travis County.
The probate court also has jurisdiction to hear lawsuits related to an estate of a decedent or ward as well as actions by or against a personal representative of a decedent’s or ward’s estate. These ancillary cases cover a wide range of topics, from products liability to fiduciary litigation to medical malpractice to family law.
Policy Regarding Pro Se Applicants
Information for the non-lawyer
- Administrative Order Requiring Use of Court’s Small Estate Affidavit Form(updated for 1/1/2014)
- Amended Administrative Order Regarding Accountings
- Administrative Order Regarding Filing Copies of Wills(updated for 1/1/2014)
- Filing Instructions for Probate and Guardianship, including Related and Ancillary Matters (updated for 1/1/2014)
- Setting Hearings in Travis County Probate Court No. 1
Information on the Probate Court E-Courtroom implementation is available on this site.
The Probate Court sponsors eight CLE sessions each year
From the Clerk's Office
For questions please contact the Civil and Probate Division of County Clerk's office.
The links to the index pages below will take you to the County Clerk's records search web site.
- Online Probate indexes and redacted documents.
- Search Computerized Deed Indexes and Test Redacted Images
- Probate Court Local Rules
- Probate Court E-Courtroom Local Rules
- Probate Court Recording & Broadcasting Local Rules
- Guidelines for Submitting Uncontested Probate-Docket Paperwork
- Uncontested Guardianship Docket Procedures
- Court Policy Regarding Pro Se Applicants Information for the non-lawyer
- Attorney's Fees in Probate Court (updated 2/5/2014)
- Seniors & the Law, Texas Young Lawyers Association (updated 1/1/2014)
- Las Personas Adultas Mayores y la Ley, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Medicaid Estate Recovery, DADS
- Programa de Recuperación de Medicaid, DADS
Last Modified: Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:41 PM