Chair -- Bob Ward
Vice Chair -- May Schmidt
Secretary -- Shawn Malone
Treasurer -- Nora Jackson
Calendar of Events
- Historic Resources Survey of Webberville and Vicinity Full Report
- Historic Resource Survey of Northeast Travis County Full Report
- Manor Historical Resources Survey
- Robertson HIll Report
- Assist individuals and groups researching the history of buildings or locations within the county and, where appropriate, assist in obtaining and funding historic markers. The commission is focusing efforts on increasing the number of African-American and Hispanic markers in the county.
- Sponsor dedication ceremonies for Texas State Historical Markers.
- Sponsor an annual Essay Contest in association with Austin Community College that focuses on recording and preserving the history of the people and places of Austin and Travis County. The essays are compiled and made available in the ACC library system and in the Austin History Center.
Students choose topics such as:
- historical figures and organizations in the city and the county,
- places students have visited in the area,
- stories of family members or other proposed subjects.
- Develop a system for surveying and inventorying historic properties in Travis County
- Review of and recommendation of properties to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- CLG Grant
- Texas Historical Commission
- Research and compile a supplement to the county schools' 1936 publication, The Defender, which contained information on rural schools in the county to include the African-American and Mexican-American county schools previously omitted.
Last Modified: Monday, February 10, 2014 9:19 AM