Travis County Probate Court
The Honorable Guy Herman
Probate Court Cover Sheet
Required by the Court and the
Texas Judicial Council:
to be filed with all new cases.
Travis County Courthouse
P.O. Box 1748
Austin, Texas 78767
Fax: (512) 854-4418
Hours: M-F, 8:00-12:00 & 1:00-5:00
The probate court is a statutory probate court headed by an elected judge, the Honorable Guy Herman. The probate court is also served by Associate Judge Dan Prashner.
In general, the probate court probates the wills of deceased persons, declares the heirs of deceased persons who die without a will, establishes guardianships for incapacitated persons and minors, supervises court-ordered involuntary mental health commitments, and administers all eminent domain cases initiated in Travis County.
The probate court also has jurisdiction to hear lawsuits related to an estate of a decedent or ward as well as actions by or against a personal representative of a decedent’s or ward’s estate. These ancillary cases cover a wide range of topics, from products liability to fiduciary litigation to medical malpractice to family law.
- Compliance Procedures--Information for Lawyers (updated 11/09/2012)
- Uncontested Guardianship Docket Procedures (updated 05/13/2013)
- Filing Instructions for Probate and Guardianship, including Related and Ancillary Matters (updated 02/01/2013)
- Setting Hearings in Travis County Probate Court No. 1 (updated 02/01/2013)
Policy Regarding Pro Se Applicants
Information for the non-lawyer
Information on the Probate Court E-Courtroom implementation is available on this site.
The Probate Court sponsors eight CLE sessions each year
From the Clerk's Office
For questions please contact the Civil and Probate Division of County Clerk's office.
The links to the index pages below will take you to the County Clerk's records search web site.
- Online Probate indexes and redacted documents.
- Search Computerized Deed Indexes and Test Redacted Images
- Probate Court Local Rules
- Probate Court E-Courtroom Local Rules
- Probate Court E-Filing Rules
- Probate Court Recording & Broadcasting Local Rules
- Guidelines for Submitting Uncontested Probate-Docket Paperwork (updated 09/26/2012)
- Uncontested Guardianship Docket Procedures (updated 01/24/2013)
These files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print. The reader can be downloaded free from Adobe.
- Court Policy Regarding Pro Se Applicants Information for the non-lawyer
- Court Registry General Information Form
- Removal of Section 867 Trustees
- Attorney's Fees in Probate Court (updated 2/18/2013)
- Seniors & the Law, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Las Personas Adultas Mayores y la Ley, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Medicaid Estate Recovery, DADS
- Programa de Recuperación de Medicaid, DADS
Monday, May 13, 2013 4:59 PM