This is the official website of Travis County, Texas.

Justices of the Peace

Traffic Tickets

What are my options?

On any traffic offense, you have the absolute right to plead Not Guilty and request a trial. If you wish to plead Not Guilty, you may request trial by Judge or Jury. That choice is yours.

What about defensive driving?

If you have not taken Defensive Driving in the last twelve months, you may wish to take the course to keep the offense off your record.

How do I keep this off my record?

In some circumstances, you may request deferred disposition from the Court. If you have a good driving record, and you are not currently on deferred disposition, you may make a request to the Court.

I got a ticket for an expired inspection certificate, expired drivers license, or expired license plates. Can it be dismissed?

If your expiration was less than 60 days, and you get the problem fixed (new license, registration, inspection ticket) and present proof to the Court, the Judge will consider dismissal of the ticket with a $20.00 fee.

What about no seat belt tickets?

The Court may allow a defendant to take defensive driving if the defendant would like to have a no seatbelt ticket dismissed.

Last Modified: Friday, February 24, 2012 11:53 AM

Legal Assistance

Austin Tenants' Council

Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection Division

Texas Apartment Association Consumer Information

TexFile efiling for Texas
Notice - If the filing fees (including copies for e-filing) are not sufficient to continue with the case filing, JP1 reserves the right to adjust the payment and/or fees to cover all court costs